Harry Potter - The Hogwarts Experience

Come share the Magic

HomeCalendarFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistHogwarts QuillLog in
Announcement Board

YEAR 9
(check the news/announcements/updated thread HERE)

Please be patient while HE is undergoing some major changes, we're trying to improve it for next term.

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Housepoints

Ravenclaw: 16,595
Slytherin: 5,356
Gryffindor: 1,684
Hufflepuff: 3

HE Staff
Admin

Deputy Head

Heads of House

Second Heads of House

Other Positions
Head Students
(February 2013 - February 2014)
AninditaW
&
stephy
Prefects
(February 2013 - August 2013)
Slytherin Prefects
elithedragon
Gryffindor Prefects
Traci=Ronlover102
Hufflepuff Prefects
Ellen

Ravenclaw Prefects
Rainbow Shifter

Professors
Ancient Runes Professor
Clafin
Art, Drama & Creative Writing Professor
amberg93
Arithmancy
amberg93
Astronomy Professor
Raistlin the Wizard
Care of Magical Creatures Professor
amortentia773
Charms Professor
Sashi
Dart Studies
TBA
Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor
amortentia773
Divination Professor
TBA
Flying Professor
LilyFlower
Healer Studies
TBA
Herbology Professor
amortentia773
History of Magic Professor
TBA
Muggle Studies Professor
amberg93
Mythology Professor
amortentia773
Potions Professor
amortentia773
Supernatural and Paranormal Studies Professor
TBA
Transfiguration Professor
TBA

HE Daily Trivia

Don't forget do play the Daily Trivia. There will be a bunch of points available for the Top 10 Players at the end of each month!

Hurry up, then, click HERE!
Latest topics
» HE Cluedo 3: The Investigation Continues
by amberg93 Today at 03:12

» He Cluedo: Common Room Chat
by MarieC Yesterday at 14:49

» Sorting Request Post
by Sorting Hat Sun Apr 13 2014, 09:09

» Sorting List (look here to see where you have been sorted)
by Sorting Hat Sun Apr 13 2014, 09:08

» Topsites voting = Housepoints!
by violetriddle Sat Apr 12 2014, 04:19

» Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them Movie
by SilverLady Fri Apr 11 2014, 21:08

» Potion of the Week #3
by SilverLady Fri Apr 11 2014, 20:44

» Potion of the Week #7
by SilverLady Fri Apr 11 2014, 20:43

» Potion of the Week #5
by SilverLady Fri Apr 11 2014, 20:42

Term Cup Winners
Year 1 (1st Semester)
House Cup: Gryffindor
Quidditch Cup: Slytherin
Year 1 (2nd Semester)
House Cup: Slytherin
Quidditch Cup: Ravenclaw
Year 2 (1st Semester)
Year 2 (2nd Semester)
House Cup: Hufflepuff
Quidditch Cup: Gryffindor
Year 3 (1st Semester)
House Cup: Ravenclaw
Quidditch Cup: Slytherin
Year 3 (2nd Semester)
House Cup: Ravenclaw
Year 4 (Full Year)
House
Cup: Gryffindor
Quidditch Cup: Hiatus
Year 5 (Full Year)
Year 6 (Full Year)
Year 7 (Full Year)
Year 8 (Full Year)
Recent Exam Passes
LilyFlower
Arithmancy OWL: Class A: Controversy of Runes
LilyFlower
Arithmancy OWL: Class C: Rune mysterys: An Introduction
LilyFlower
Arithmancy OWL: Class E: Runes: Where it all began
violetriddle
Level 3 : Animal Selection
violetriddle
Level 4 - Personal Evaluation PART 1

Featured Member

Affiliates/Topsites
Please vote daily in the following sites to keep our site on top and hopefully attract more members:

These are our static affiliates:

Gordon Parks' AcademyHOS
More affiliates HERE!

Twitter
FaceBook Page
Affiliate With Us
If you would like to affiliate with the Hogwarts Experience simply take the link image code below to put onto your site. To have your affiliate here, please PM Raistlin The Wizard. Include your own image link and it will be put onto this site. Please remember, Hogwarts Experience will only affiliate with sites that have our own affiliate link on them.
Add us as an affiliate:

Share | 

Lesson 3: Advantages and Disadavantages of Flying

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
littleprincess_01
5th Year
5th Year

Female
Registration date: 2006-03-09
Number of posts: 5877
Real First Name: Aliza
House: Gryffindor
Warning:
0 / 30 / 3

Award Bar:
0 / 7000 / 700

PostSubject: Lesson 3: Advantages and Disadavantages of Flying   Wed Jan 24 2007, 19:49

For this lesson there is no right or wrong answer...not a lot of research will be required but the class is based on your thoughts and opinions. Have Fun!

Flying – The advantages and disadvantages

Though flying is very popular in the wizarding world there can be disadvantages to it. Answer the following questions fully giving more than just basic answers. Marks will be awarded for answers that are most original and have the most thought put into them.

What are the advantages of flying over apparition, floo powder and portkeys?

What are the disadvantages of flying?

What is your preferred method of transport? Why?

State the advantages and disadvantages of flying for the following people. Explanations are not necessary but will get you more points.
a) Large families
b) Young children
c) Teenagers
d) Older people

Possible points: 50
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KatieBellaTrix
5th Year
5th Year

Female
Registration date: 2006-10-24
Number of posts: 5236
Real First Name: Let's Leave it at Katie... XD
House: Gryffindor Girlie
Crest:
Warning:
0 / 30 / 3

Award Bar:
53 / 70053 / 700

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 3: Advantages and Disadavantages of Flying   Fri Jan 26 2007, 02:46

Lesson Three: The Advantages and Disadvantages of Flying
by KatieBellaTrix

There are many advantages of flying over other methods of transportation. Let's take apparition for example. You have to pass an exam! I mean, come on, who want's to study just so they can arrive someplace al teeny bit faster!? I know, I don't! And all that hard work, and you can cut of your head, or pinky toe, and I hear it hurts! Who want's to be forced through a tight rubber tube? Yea, that's conveinant! And what about Floo Powder huh? Nothing more fun then when you misprounonce "Reztakipinauwltipsy" and end up in Zimbabwae somewhere! And there's the fire hazard. What if you odn't put in enough floo powder? Ever thought of that? What happens when you get there and find out they've closed up the fireplace? Nothing more fun then that! What if your allergic to fire? It coud happen! Moving our calm and two sided discussion along, i feel portkeys are a waste of time. I happen to always arrive on time to places, but what if someone isnt as organized? There stuck! Portkeys are scheduled! You can't change the time without registering them. What a hassle! WHy deal with the minsitry more then you have to? Does it make sense to you? Id oesnt to me either! And, by the way, if your going to a formal dinner and you fall on the ground outside, well that would make an impression.

Ok ok, there are sime disadvantages to flying too. I mean, you could fall off and break your neck. And theres the weather to deal with? But so what! I'm sure you can handle it. Just bring an umbrellaand attatch yourself to a harness. And besides there is no better way to see the country then from the skys!

As vou can proably tell, my perfered method of transport is flying. I feel it is more conveint, the easiet, and the most enviromentally safe way to go. There are no lines, no registrations, and no boring study hours. All you have to do is buy a broom and take off. All this without the risk of getting set on fire or having our left eyebrow removed. Who wouldn't want to fly a broom?

Large families love flying brooms because everybody can go there own way with no fighting over shotgun or who gets to first. Its so much easier to tell Little Billy to fly behind big sister Sally then to step into a lit fireplace isn't it? And the brothers can race, and have a fun time without the worry of boredom. Bored, well do a flip. Hot? Go faster. Theres nothing to lose. You might want to attatch a harness though in case Little Billy, trys to grab onto Big Brothers broomstick.

Young children love brroms and there parents do too! It teaches them responsibility and balance, while they feel all grown up. Look mommy! There a big kid. They can play quidditch with the bug boys, they can play tag with the phoenixs. It's all in there control. But of course the idsadvantage would be them getting lost, or falling off.

Teenagers love having there own broom and being able to fly it. It gives them the freedom of just hopping on and taking off. There preants ar glad they can take it away from them. So if Henry turns little Billy into a treefrog, no more brromstick for three months. They can play with their friends and escape there little brothers and sister without doing anything illegal or dangerous. Risks include running away from home, and muggle harassment.

Older people have a love of broomsticks too. It makes them feel young and free again. Remeber the time when Ethel and Henrietta chased those boys down the river on FLying Falcons? Well it sure does bring back the memories. However, after a while there back may get a little sore so its best for them to stick to bingo nights.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OUTxxWITHxxAxxBANG
5th Year
5th Year

Female
Registration date: 2006-11-16
Number of posts: 2677
Real First Name: Jessie
House: Slytherin, where else?
Warning:
0 / 30 / 3

Award Bar:
0 / 7000 / 700

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 3: Advantages and Disadavantages of Flying   Fri Jan 26 2007, 03:37

The advantage to flying over apparition, floo powder, and portkeys that stuck out the most to me is the free, open, clean air. One thing Apparition, Floo powder, and portkeys all have in common is that they are a closed environment. In apparition you experience the feeling of being pushed through a small tube, using floo powder you fly through filthy chimneys, and in portkeys you are still in the open air, but unless done right, most likely falling through the air. But when flying, (unless inside) you are free to fly at which ever speed you want, distance you want, and where you want. When flying you can feel the wind in you hair and the sting of fresh air flying past you.

One major disadvantage of flying is speed. You could be riding the fastest broom on the market, but someone appirating could still beat you. Another disadvantage is the risk of falling. Unless you have a tight grip on the broom, or have extremely good balance, there is a definite chance off falling off your broom while flying. This also leads to the dangers of flying long distances. If you, say, try to fly all the way from England to the USA it would take over a couple days, even on the fastest broom on the market. Surely you

Would get tired flying for that long, and would most likely fall asleep while in the air, which will more often then not, lead to falling off your broom… not good.

My preferred method of transportation is the Knight Bus. I like the Knight Bus because A) It’s fast B) It comes complete with a bed for a good night’s rest and C) It’s fun! To me, the Knight Bus is like a fast moving roller coaster. And me… I like roller coasters. If I rode the Knight Bus, you can guarantee I’d be in the back seat, my hands in the air, screaming my lungs off.

State the advantages and disadvantages of flying for the following people. Explanations are not necessary but will get you more points.
a) Large families

Advantages: Travel at one time, less chances of separation like there are when using floo powder. More enjoyable then the feeling of being stuffed through a tube like when Appirating.
Disadvantages: Hard to stay together when in a large group. Children may want to fly ahead, elders may want to slow down. At least when side apprirating it may not be comfortable, but at least you are guaranteed to stay together.

b) Young children

Advantages: Definitley more enjoyable for young children. It is practically a known fact that children do not enjoy the feeling of being sucked through a tube, or getting their face covered in filth.

Disadvantages: Younger children most likely aren’t experienced on a broomstick as older people. This could definitely be a problem. It would not only slow down travel, it would also be dangerous. Since small children have a tendency to generally have worse balance, with could lead to children falling off their brooms and hurting themselves.

c) Teenagers

Advantages: Teenagers are generally the age that enjoy flying the most. Once a child turns eleven they take a flying class at Hogwarts, which means most teenagers have at least one experience on a broomstick. The more experience a teenager has, the less chance of injury there is.
Disadvantages: Teenagers like to go fast. Fast isn’t always good when flying. If a teenager is flying to far ahead of the group he/she is with, they may not be paying as much attention as the should be, which lead to injury.

d) Older people

Advantages: Older people have been flying for a longer time, and are more experienced. And as an added bonus you can use their denture grip as a butt sealant to your broom! No more falling!
Disadvantages: Experienced they may be, older people generally should not be flying. At an old age, you really don’t want to be risking falling and severally hurting yourself.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SilverLady
1st Year
1st Year

Female
Registration date: 2007-01-08
Number of posts: 5644
Real First Name: Cristina
Crest:
Warning:
0 / 30 / 3

Award Bar:
18 / 70018 / 700

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 3: Advantages and Disadavantages of Flying   Fri Jan 26 2007, 16:09

Indeed, there are many advanteges to flying. First of all, even off the Quidditch field, flying is good workout. It means that you won't only get whereever you want to realtively quickly, but you will also keep your body in good condition, which is what any Hogwarts student who spends a lot of time on his chair, writing essays and then indulging at the magnificent feasts the wizardry school offers, needs to get out, move up and down a bit and get some fresh air. Yes, air, and this is my second point: there is nothing like the morning breeze to enjoy while you are for example flying to work and there's nothing better to relax afterwards. Even if there are many healthy-lungs-spells, each mother of young wizards values the advantages that exercise at fresh air can have for her youngsters' health. Flying is also much more of an experience, whereas apparition, portkeys or floopowder become boring, especially to the experienced wizard. You can go to all kinds of interesting trips by broom - adventures in the mountains, flying over the ocean, looking at the sunset with your chosen one - the broom is the easy and fun way for everything!

Unfortunately, I must admit – limited speed. If you really are in a hurry, you are much more likely to choose apparition, floo powder or portkeys, to travel in some seconds distances that would maybe take hours on broom. Another major disadvantage is that you can’t fly everywhere with your broom, you risk to be seen by muggles. You have to always look for deserted areas to fly over. Another aspect to the same muggle problem is that you can’t travel whenever you want to – say you want to fly over a city, then you have to wait until it’s dark, otherwise you might find people staring at you and wondering: “Is it an aeroplane? Is it a flying dog? Is it the powerpuff girls?” And the answer may come from one Harry-Potter-wise muggle: “No, it’s a witch on a broomstick.” – clearly not the ideal case.

Flying - of course! I just find the feeling of being up there, way above the earth. It gives me an immense feeling of liberty, it's incredible! And it's much better then muggle carg, for example, because you don't have to sit for hours in traffic jams!

a) Large families
Advantage:
- Everybody can play a jolly game of Quidditch
Disadvantages:
- for everybody to be able to travel, you need many brooms
- large groups of people are easier to spot
b) Young children
Advantage:
- Quidditch talents can be discovered early
- Sports is healty for kids
Disadvantage:
- It is difficult to control where they fly, so they might be discovered by muggles
c) Teenagers
Advantage:
- Good transport method for the ones who don’t yet have their apparition exams passed
Disadvantage:
-Some still behave like kids and might be discovered by muggles
d) Older people
Advantage:
- Keeps them fit even at old age
Disadvantage:
- Not possible if they have any major health problems
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Amy
Retired Deputy Head : 5th year
Retired Deputy Head : 5th year

Female
Registration date: 2006-02-22
Number of posts: 11742
Real First Name: Amy
Crest:
Warning:
0 / 30 / 3

Award Bar:
100 / 700100 / 700

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 3: Advantages and Disadavantages of Flying   Sun Jan 28 2007, 22:06

Flying is the preferred method of transport for many witches and wizards, and there are several reasons for it being preferable to apparition, floo powder and portkey's. Anyone can learn to fly a broom, however not everyone can apparate. You have to be over seventeen to get an apparating licence, and so for young children and teenagers, apparition is out of the question. There is always Side Along Apparition, but this is uncomfortable and could be problematic. Floo powder also presents dangers and difficulties. Not only is it costly (you have to buy the floo powder), but there is always the danger of getting out at the wrong grate, like Harry did in CoS. Portkey's can only be made by designated Ministry members, and as such, aren't readily available to the everyday Witch or Wizard. They are also uncomfortable to use, they jerk you behind the navel and the landing is not smooth, more often than not. Flying is a good way of getting from A to B, and everyone can learn to fly.

One of the biggest disadvantages of flying is the fact that it is time consuming. The other three methods of transport mentioned above (apparition, floo powder and portkeys) are almost instantaneous, whereas a journey by broom will take longer. There's also the danger of being seen by Muggles. You wouldn't be seen using floo, and if you're careful not using a portkey or apparating, but when flying in open sky, you're a lot more susceptible to being seen. Another disadvantage is that when you're flying high in the sky, there's a long way to fall if you lose your grip or run into an obstacle (eg. parachutist).

My preferred method of transport is apparition. I've passed my apparition test, and have my licence. It is quick, easy and relatively painless once you get used to it. It also doesn't require any money (no need to buy floo powder, or broomstick maintenance kits).

a) Large families

Advantages: You can all go at once. By floo powder you have to go one by one, which may result in losing a child. By apparition, you could only take one child at a time, which again, may result in lost children. With a family broom, everyone can travel at the same time.
Disadvantages: I would guess that family brooms are expensive, and large families may be on the poorer side.

b) Young children

Advantages: Flying will teach a young child independance, and also hone their reflexes and agility skills. It would also be good for keeping them occupied on a long journey, through having to concentrate on the route. No more "are we there yet's"!
Disadvantages: They would be apt to falling off, and their parents would have to take a lot of time to teach them flying in the first place. There's also the danger of them being more conspicuous to Muggles by whooping and screaming.

c) Teenagers

Advantages: Again, there's the issue of independance. It's much easier to go out to the broom shed and get your broom than it is to go into the living room, find out the floo powder, and possibly have to ask your parents permission before using it. There's also the fact that younger teenagers wouldn't be able to apparate, and so flying is really the only alternative.
Disadvantages: They might be irresponsable with the broomsticks, perhaps trying to get the attention of Muggles on purpose as part of a trick or dare. Teenagers don't often have much money, so buying a broom and keeping it in good condition might be a problem.

d) Older people
Advantages: Apparition requires a lot of focus, and so older people might not be able to twist their mind to it (no offence intended). Flooing again takes mind power to know which grate to get off at, and so flying is the only alternative.
Disadvantages: Flying requires that the body is agile and alert, and older people's bodies may be achey and tired.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://amyxaphania.livejournal.com
stephy
Head Girl : 5th Year : Death Eater
Head Girl : 5th Year : Death Eater

Female
Registration date: 2006-06-04
Number of posts: 30311
Real First Name: Stephanie, Polly calls me Stephums, Kim calls me Steffie and among others Im either mommy or granny
House: ravenclaw
Crest:
Warning:
0 / 30 / 3

Award Bar:
35 / 70035 / 700

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 3: Advantages and Disadavantages of Flying   Sun Feb 04 2007, 03:19

Not everyone knows how to apparte. Most can't learn to Apparte until thier around the age of 17, so how are they suppose to get around. Well a lot of wizards and witches can learn to fly even around the age of 11 making travel evenr easier over long distences. Also you can fly up real high and so long as you stay away from planes the muggles wont notice you. Fllo powder also has some problems too. One is that if you dont say the place that you want to go correctly then you might end up somewhere else. When you go flying on a broom you have more control over the path that you take and have a better chance of arraving at your destination. Some might say a portkey would be the best way to travel but the problem is that the ministry would have to make it for you and you dont want to keep going to them tryinh to get to place, brooms are easier to obtain and you dont have to tell the ministy about it.

I would perfer the portkey because you have a better chance of gettin where you want to go. You dont have to worry about saying the location wrong and ending up somewhere else. When it comes to flying you could be up high in the sky and all of a sudden a gust of wind could blow you off and you might not survive the fall. It is also better then apperation because there is a great chance that you might end up being at more then one place at the same time.

a) Large families
advantage
You dont have to worry about them all ending up in differnt location like you would if you were to use floo powder
disadvantage
If there is a lot of kids you might not have enough money to buy everyone a broom
b) Young children
advantage
You could carry them as you fly along
disadvantage
They might be too big to carry and also too young to know how to use a broom corrsctly
c) Teenagers
advantages
They would of had flying lessons in school and would know how to fly right
disadvantage
If your son brought his girlfriend he might try to show off and end up hurting himself
d) Older people
advantage
They would of had a lot of expirence flying and would not have a lot of problems
disadvantage
They might of a medical problem that could stop them from being abke to fly

Need to get ahold of me right away?? Facebook message me or send me an owl. I'll get back once I'm done watching pokemon or playing LoTRO :D
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/oddie_faneenala
RhiannonMei
1st Year
1st Year

Female
Registration date: 2007-02-03
Number of posts: 4728
Real First Name: June
Crest:
Warning:
0 / 30 / 3

Award Bar:
50 / 70050 / 700

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 3: Advantages and Disadavantages of Flying   Wed Feb 07 2007, 02:19

The Advantages and Disadvantages of Flying :fly:
by RhiannonMei

1.What are the advantages of flying over apparition, floo powder and portkeys?
There are many advantages to choosing flying as a method of travel. Compared to apparition, there is the age barrier. People under the age of 17 or people who don't have an apparition license would not be able to apparate while anybody, parental permission permitting, would be able to fly. Also, many wizards and witches find apparating disconcerting because of the "being decompressed into a tube" feeling that always accompanies this method of transportation. In addition, when you fly, there is a 0% chance of getting splinched, a very uncomfortable situation to be in, though thankfully, I don't speak from personal experience.
Compared to floo powder, flying has an advantage because when you floo, more often than not, you will find yourself dirty and covered in soot at your destination. There is also the danger of having to get to an important appointment, and finding that you have run out of floo powder, making flying much more reliable because you will only ever need one broom while in the long run, floo powder would prove more expensive, because of the need to buy it continuously. In the end, flying has the advantage over floo powder because there is no risk of getting out at the wrong grate. In the event that you do get lost in the air, a simple Point Me spell and a map can get you out of a tight situation. Also, though it is rare, some magical dwellings don't have fireplaces. How are you supposed to floo to a place if there is no destination?
Compared to portkey, flying also has an advantage because some witches and wizards dislike the spinning feeling of portkey traveling and would much prefer flying. Also, not many witches and wizards enjoy going to all the trouble to get through the hustle and bustle of the incompetent ministry just to get a single portkey!

2. What are the disadvantages of flying?
There are a few disadvantages to flying, though flying enthusiasts don't like to admit it. There are very rare subjects that cannot be controlled through magic and the weather is one of them. No source on Earth can controll the weather, no matter how much we wish to, and unfortuantely, travel by broom mostly depends on the weather. After all, how many witches and wizards enjoy flying in a downpour of rain, when you could have just apparated from your warm home to your destination? How many witches and wizards prefer taking the risk of getting blown off course in high winds if flooing somewhere would be so much easier? I certainly don't. And honestly? I don't know anyone who does. Also, there is always the possibility of your broom breaking, and although Whomping Willows are rare, it can happen. And if flying is your only method of transport, you'd be stranded.

3. What is your preferred method of transport? Why?
My prefered method of transport is apparition because in the long run, knowing how to apparate will benefit me more than knowing how to fly, floo, or go through the arrangements necessary to get a portkey. Apparition is the fastest method of travel out of the four choices, and if I suddenly become victim to a Death Eater attack, it would be quicker to apparate before they set up Anti-Apparition wards.

4. State the advantages and disadvantages of flying for the following people. Explanations are not necessary but will get you more points.
a) Large families
The advantage to flying with a large family is that it's less lonely than if you're flying by yourself. Also, in case of a Death Eater attack, there are more people to help protect the family. A disadvantage is that with large families, it would be hard to keep track of everyone in the air.
b) Young children
The advantage to flying with young children is that their short attention spans will always be focused on the job at hand because of the thrill that accompanies your first few broomstick rides. A disadvantage is that the group in the air would be extremely vulnerable because of the young children aboard. Also, younger children are more likely to fall off their brooms.
c) Teenagers
The advantage to flying with teenagers is that in most cases, they know what they're doing when they're on a broom. The teenagers would be less likely to fall off. A disadvantage is that since teenagers will be teenagers, they might speed up and get lost from the general group that is flying.
d) Older people
An advantage to flying with older people is that the older people would command respect and orderliness in the group. A disadvantage is that if the older people are EXTREMELY old, they might be subject to aches and pains that would interfere with the journey in the air.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.xanga.com/love_the_moon

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 3: Advantages and Disadavantages of Flying   Sun Feb 11 2007, 18:50

The Advantages and Disadvantages of Flying
By Harry_Potter_Mad_27

1.What are the advantages of flying over apparition, floo powder and portkeys?
The advantages of flying are as follows;
If you travel by apperation, you stand the risk of leaving half of your body behind! But With flying you are 99% garenteed to get there in one peice.

If you travel by flo powder, then you have the risk of coming out at the wrong grate if you say the wrong word, with flying you can change where you are going whilst you are flying and with flo powder you can't.

If you travel by a portkey then you have to let go at a certain time and when you land you might brake a bone if you do not do it correctly, with a broom it is easier.

2. What are the disadvantages of flying?
The disadvantages are as folows;
If you fall off you could break a bone,
Or,
If the wind catches your broom you stand in risk of flying into something like the whomping willow, or something worse.

3. What is your preferred method of transport? Why?
My prefered mode of transport is aperation because it is quicker than any other mode of transport, and it is a lot safer (well in some respects!)

4. State the advantages and disadvantages of flying for the following people.

a) Large families

Advantage:
That you can get around a lot lot quicker.

Disadvantage:
That you could lose somebody on your way.

b) Young children

Advantage:
That they could get to school quicker and not be late.

Disadvantage:
They could fall off their brooms a LOT easier and they could get lost.

c) Teenagers

Advantage:
They learn a lot quicker how to stay on as they are at the critical age of learning and are a lot better at flying becuse they are the right size to fly on a broom.

Disadvantage:
They could easily, being teenagers, fly off and go to fast (thus making them fall off their broom).

d) Older people

Advantage:
They are old and they will not have to put up with so many aches and pains as they would if they were walking.

Disadvantage:
They might not be able to see as well as a younger person.

Harry_Potter_Mad_27
Back to top Go down
Caroru
HE Owl : Undergraduate
HE Owl : Undergraduate

Female
Registration date: 2006-02-24
Number of posts: 15463
Real First Name: Caro
Crest:
Warning:
0 / 30 / 3

Award Bar:
70 / 70070 / 700

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 3: Advantages and Disadavantages of Flying   Mon Feb 12 2007, 16:42

Flying – The advantages and disadvantages

Well, if you choose to fly over apparition, floo powder and portkeys, then you won't apparate your left leg to Russia while your right arm decides to go to England and visit the Hippos, while the rest of your body just goes... somewhere else. When you fly to your destination - hopefully not after a bottle of rum - you reach it somewhat in one piece. Besides, it's cooler than comming all ashed up (I made a new word, woooo!!) by flooing over, or even look stupid while trying to find out if your Grandmother's old sock really is a portkey or not... for the record, you will look stupid with that sock in your hand!

There's many of 'em! One, you'll be risking the air traffic for birds, flying nuns and monks, airplanes, other things like cows and horses too. Imagine yourself colliding with a cow. Ouch! Two, larger risk to be seen by Muggles. How would you explain it to your Muggle aunt when she saw you on a broom, sixteen feet in the air!? "Oh I was just, erm, WATCHING THE STARS!!!!" ...she won't believe you, trust me! Three, it's a lot more uncomfortable and more... chilly. Yeah, you won't be thanking for the fresh wind blowing in your private parts! And pillows would only make you look stupid, and you don't want that... "I saw a dude fly with pillows under his butt, hahahaha!" Funny. :D Four, if you have a bad navigation skill, then... SUCKS TO BE YOU, MATE!!!! xD Yeah, when trying to find France (Paris to be exact) you'll end up a) flying against the Eiffel Tower, or b) end up in Australia, where the kengaroos will be all "WTF!? ^^"

Flying, of course! xD More reasons to look stupid... with a more stupid reason to do so!! xD It's more exciting, too. I mean, how often do you get the chance to meet flying nuns and monks and kengaroos anyway!?

a) Large families

+ sides:
+ no one will complain about being bored (they'll be too busy to avoid the nuns and monks...)
+ more quality time with the other family members that you would never spend otherwise
+ everyone gets fresh air (even those cool ones that sit 24/7 and stare at the computer screen coughHEcough)

- sides:
- larger chance to lose one of your kids
- death numbers are high (WELL THEY ARE!!!)

b) Young children
+ sides:
+ the faster something goes, the better it is (...atleast that's what they'll think!)
+ everyone wants to play with the cows!

- sides:
- as they are only children, they wouldn't understand what kind of responsbility that comes with it

c) Teenagers
+ sides:
+ it's the coolest way to travel, and get the Quidditch hair-do at the same time
+ you don't need to know where you're heading, you have loads of time to think while flying!

- sides:
- teenagers might do something stupid (most likely dares, bets, competitions etc...)
- if they start to day dream, they might be struck by the lightning

d) Older people
+ sides:
+ a healthy breeze will do just fine to your 'private parts' every now and then
+ if you're healthy enough to have a nice excitement, then why not fly?

- sides:
- have you ever seen your Grandmother fly? I thought not (there's a reason why old people don't fly, you know...)
- all the excitement in the air might kill them O.O
- if your halfdemented granny wants to go on a fly around the world, and she can barely remember her own name, then who's going to watch after her?
- long ways might make their muscles and other old bodyparts ache easier
- sitting in the same position is very uncomfortable even for young people, so what do you think it's for old people then? FUN!? xD
Back to top Go down
View user profile
littleprincess_01
5th Year
5th Year

Female
Registration date: 2006-03-09
Number of posts: 5877
Real First Name: Aliza
Warning:
0 / 30 / 3

Award Bar:
0 / 7000 / 700

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 3: Advantages and Disadavantages of Flying   Thu Feb 15 2007, 21:47

Well done to everyone! You all did really well! The points are as follows:

GRYFFINDOR
KatieBellaTrix – 50
SilverLady - 50
Duck the Duck - 50
RhiannonMei - 50
Caroru – 55 (50+5 for entertaining me)

RAVENCLAW
stephy – 50
harry_potter_mad_27 – 50

SLYTHERIN
OUTxxWITHxxAxxBANG – 50
Back to top Go down
View user profile
amortentia773
Hufflepuff Head of House : CoMC & DADA & Mythology & Herbology & Potions Professor : 5th Year
Hufflepuff Head of House : CoMC & DADA &  Mythology & Herbology & Potions Professor : 5th Year

Female
Registration date: 2010-07-29
Number of posts: 17211
Real First Name: Katie
House: Hufflepuff
Crest:
Warning:
0 / 30 / 3

Award Bar:
100 / 700100 / 700

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 3: Advantages and Disadavantages of Flying   Thu Aug 04 2011, 22:00

Flying has many advantages that fit certain type of people more than others. As an easy to learn skill, many people enjoy the sensation of flying over other methods of transportation.

As apparition comes with the very uncomfortable feeling of being squeezed into a tight tube with lots of pressue, many wizards prefer flying as a much more comfortable way of transportation. Also, there is no license required to obtain and fly a broom, compared to the long learning process wizards need including months of lessons prior to taking a final exam. For wizards who prefer not to go through the hassles of the Ministry, broomsticks will be a much easier choice. Flying can also be considered safer than apparition with spells that can keep you on the broom, unlike apparition which runs the risks of splinching from minor distractions.

Floo powder, one of the most common forms of transportation, while easy, can also become very expensive, very fast. The constant need to buy new floo powder in order to use it everyday will quickly add up to be more than the cost of investing in a good broom (which you could also use for other things such as sport). If you're a wizard who's not too good at cleaning spells, it might be best to take a broom as well: traveling through chimney tends to leave the clothes and you, covered in soot and dirt. Not to mention the need to close your eyes and tuck your elbows in for the duration of your travels, which is both uncomfortable and can be hard to do. With a broom, there is no need to waste money constantly and you won't be covered in dirt when you arrive at work!

Portkeys may be great when it comes to long distance travels, but they're extremely hard to obtain. Porkeys are Ministry regulated and must be scheduled at their convience; making your own Portkey is a felony with a large fine or even time in Azkaban. The Ministry doesn't give out Porkeys often except for mass wizard transport (such as World Cups) so its unlikely to be of any use to you in daily situations such as traveling to work. Once again, broomsticks do not have the hassle of Ministry regulation and are easy to purchase in wizarding communities. Also, you don't need to worry about running behind on time, because your broomstick isn't going to leave without you!

While flying can be great for some people, it's definitely not for others. Those with large families who are tight on money might not want to invest on multiple broomsticks for all of their children, which can become very costly with a good broom. And with small children, it's nearly impossible to be sure they will be safe on a full-fledged broom, not just a safety training broom.

For those who prefer a quick method of transportation, broomsticks might seem dreadfully slow as they add to the commute time you'll need to arrive at your destination. While flying, the wizard must also be sure the weather is proper so that there's no chance of Muggles spotting them in flight, but no one wants to go flying in wet or cold weather either without being sure they can perform the proper protective charms to keep them warm and dry.

Finally, wizards with a fear of heights will not do well on brooms, particularily recent models of brooms which are designed to go faster and higher than ever before and if the wizard is not good with directions, it might be better to go with a safer method of transportation that brings them directly to the location they want unless they are gifted at a good "Point Me" spell that will help them find their way.

My preferred method of transportation is apparition for several reasons. First off, despite the inital cost of taking lessons and the final exam, it's completely free after that; I don't need to reinvest every couple of years on a new broom and I don't need to constantly buy floo powder either. It's also much faster than any other type of travel, arriving instantly at your destination; for me, as I'm constantly running behind, this is perfect for making up time. Finally, I can simply bring a bag along with me when I'm out shopping and disapparate back with my items, rather than worrying about them falling out while traveling with Floo Powder or flying.

a) Large families

Some large families might want to reconsider using flying as their method of transportations if they have a lot of children or very small children. While flying will make sure you don't run out of floo powder as quickly, the more brooms you get, the more expensive it will be. And since you're a family, you'll want good quality brooms for your children, which will make it even more expensive. With small children, they're unable to run anything but safety training brooms which don't reach far off the ground, so longer travels would not be possible. However, flying is always a fun way to show your kids the sights around town and will get them ready to be possible Quidditch players as they grow up!

b) Young children
Broomsticks for young children are not a good idea in general. Other than safety brooms, most children are unable to ride any other type as the chance of falling off or going out of control and being spotted by Muggles is too high. They simply don't feel the same pull of responsibility as older wizards will. It's always good to buy a training broom to get them ready for when their older and off the ground, of course. And as a wizard past-time, Quidditch will soon be on their mind and they'll beg for a broomstick anyway.

c) Teenagers
Broomsticks are perfect for teenagers to travel with. Since their not old enough to apparate, and generally play Quidditch when they get together with other friends, flying over to visit other wizards is perfect for them. They'll feel more independent with some of the more dangerous prospects broomsticks offer and will also become comfortable with being in the air. However, it is risky to put such moody and irresponsible people on brooms: there's always the chance they'll do something stupid that puts themselves, or others in danger when trying to show off and there's a risk Muggles mgiht spot these dangerous dares as well. Any teenager hoping to be on a Hogwarts Quidditch Team will of course need a broom.

d) Older people
While brooms would cut down on the amount of walking or spinning they'd have to do for apparition, brooms might not be the perfect transportation method for the elderly. With possible failing eyesight and less agility than when they were younger, they might not see dangerous obstacles before it's too late or might be unable to avoid a collision with anything in the air. The weather and climate might also be dangerous for someone who might become sick more easily. However, they would most likely have been flying for most of their lives and might have more experience than other groups, like teenagers would so they'd be less likely to get into trouble.

THANK YOU RAI FOR MY ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS MERLIN SIGGY!

H U F F L E P U F F P R I D E
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://lostamongfantasy.tumblr.com/
Rigby Dumbledore
Ravenclaw 2nd Head : 2nd Year
Ravenclaw 2nd Head : 2nd Year

Female
Registration date: 2007-01-30
Number of posts: 4729
Real First Name: Kate or Katie
House: Ravenclaw
Crest:
Warning:
0 / 30 / 3

Award Bar:
72 / 70072 / 700

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 3: Advantages and Disadavantages of Flying   Sat Feb 18 2012, 23:45

Well done!

Housepoints-

amortentia773- 50 housepoints

New student entries may be posted below.

@ Midnight Book Girl
When I'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll be reading Harry Potter. And my family will say to me, “After all this time?”
And I will say, “Always.”
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://midnightbookgirl.com

Lesson 3: Advantages and Disadavantages of Flying

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1