Harry Potter - The Hogwarts Experience

Come share the Magic and remember Never tickle a Purple Hippo!

HomeCalendarFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistHogwarts QuillLog in
Announcement Board
Check the news/announcements/updated thread HERE
Please be patient while HE is undergoing some major changes, we're trying to improve it for a new era.

YEAR 9

ROYAL BALL NEXT SUNDAY, JULY 13TH, 8 PM - 11 PM (GMT)

MAIN EVENT
Don't forget that the TV/Movies Bootcamp is currently ongoing. You can sign-up at any time!

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Housepoints

Ravenclaw: 18,820
Slytherin: 10,886
Gryffindor: 9,017
Hufflepuff: 7,198

July 2014
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
HE Staff
Admin

Deputy Head

Heads of House

Second Heads of House

Other Positions
Head Students
(February 2013 - February 2014)
AninditaW
&
stephy
Prefects
(February 2013 - August 2013)
Slytherin Prefects
elithedragon
Gryffindor Prefects
Traci=Ronlover102
Hufflepuff Prefects
Ellen

Ravenclaw Prefects
Rainbow Shifter

Professors
Ancient Runes Professor
Clafin
Art, Drama & Creative Writing Professor
amberg93
Arithmancy
amberg93
Astronomy Professor
Raistlin the Wizard
Care of Magical Creatures Professor
amortentia773
Charms Professor
Sashi
Dart Studies
TBA
Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor
amortentia773
Divination Professor
TBA
Flying Professor
LilyFlower
Healer Studies
TBA
Herbology Professor
amortentia773
History of Magic Professor
violetriddle
Muggle Studies Professor
amberg93
Mythology Professor
amortentia773
Potions Professor
amortentia773
Supernatural and Paranormal Studies Professor
violetriddle
Transfiguration Professor
violetriddle

HE Daily Trivia

Don't forget do play the Daily Trivia. There will be a bunch of points available for the Top 10 Players at the end of each month!

Hurry up, then, click HERE!
Latest topics
» FIGHT LIKE GODS
by Guest Today at 11:29

» Year 9 - Announcements/Updates
by Raistlin The Wizard Sun Jul 20 2014, 18:57

» Sorting Request Post
by Sorting Hat Sun Jul 20 2014, 18:05

» Sorting List (look here to see where you have been sorted)
by Sorting Hat Sun Jul 20 2014, 18:05

» TV/Movie Bootcamp - Round 2
by Raistlin The Wizard Sun Jul 20 2014, 10:32

» TV/Movie Bootcamp - Common Room
by Raistlin The Wizard Sun Jul 20 2014, 10:22

» TV/Movie Bootcamp - Standings
by Raistlin The Wizard Sun Jul 20 2014, 10:21

» TV/Movie Bootcamp - Round 1
by Raistlin The Wizard Sun Jul 20 2014, 10:16

» On A Date In The Meadow ::Alice::
by alice lovegood 13 Fri Jul 18 2014, 11:11

Term Cup Winners
Year 1 (1st Semester)
House Cup: Gryffindor
Quidditch Cup: Slytherin
Year 1 (2nd Semester)
House Cup: Slytherin
Quidditch Cup: Ravenclaw
Year 2 (1st Semester)
Year 2 (2nd Semester)
House Cup: Hufflepuff
Quidditch Cup: Gryffindor
Year 3 (1st Semester)
House Cup: Ravenclaw
Quidditch Cup: Slytherin
Year 3 (2nd Semester)
House Cup: Ravenclaw
Year 4 (Full Year)
House
Cup: Gryffindor
Quidditch Cup: Hiatus
Year 5 (Full Year)
Year 6 (Full Year)
Year 7 (Full Year)
Year 8 (Full Year)
Recent Exam Passes
violetriddle
Level 3 : Animal Selection
violetriddle
Level 4 - Personal Evaluation PART 1
violetriddle
Level 4 - Personal Evaluation PART 2
violetriddle
Level 5 - Animagus Transformation
violetriddle
Level 6 : Final Exam : Knowledge of Animagus
violetriddle
Level 7 : Register Your Animagus
violetriddle
History of Magic OWL - Hogwarts: A History

avablacky
Level One: Magical Aptitude Test

Featured Member

Affiliates/Topsites
Please vote daily in the following sites to keep our site on top and hopefully attract more members:

These are our static affiliates:

Gordon Parks' Academywands at the readyHOS Potter's Army
Dark AgesPriori Incantatem

FaceBook Page
Affiliate With Us
If you would like to affiliate with the Hogwarts Experience simply take the link image code below to put onto your site. To have your affiliate here, please PM Raistlin The Wizard or post your button HERE. Please remember, Hogwarts Experience will only affiliate with sites that have our own affiliate link on them.
Add us as an affiliate:

Copyright and Rights Reserved
Copyright and Rights Reserved

The Hogwarts Experience copyrighted 2006-2014
Elfie Dumbledore
All Rights Reserved

General Disclaimer
All Referances to Harry Potter characters and story lines remain the rights of JK.Rowling, Warner Brothers, Bloomsbury & Scholastic
Share | 

Professor Trewlawney

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Etta
Deputy Head : Hufflepuff HoH : Divination Professor : 6th Year

Female
Registration date: 2006-03-03
Number of posts: 6609
Real First Name: Bee
House: HUFFLEPUFF
Crest:
Warning:
0 / 30 / 3

Award Bar:
78 / 70078 / 700

PostSubject: Professor Trewlawney   Tue Mar 20 2007, 10:52

Bonjour mes petite pois, I am off chasing cars so whilst I do that, you can all feast your eyes on the first homework of the new term!! Maxime of 50 points available and remember, copy and pasting a big no no and will mean no points so include all sources! And have fun!!!!

Maxime of 50 Points up for grabs!!!!!

Part One – Professor Trewlawney.

For the very first part of this homework you will need to look at the following quotes very carefully.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Chapter: Talons and Tea Leaves (page 80 UK Ed)

Quote: to Parvati Patil – “beware a red-haired man”

To the class “around Easter, one of our number will leave us forever”

Harry on Ron’s tea cup – “You’re going to suffer but be very happy”

Ron on Harry’s tea cup - “A windfall, unexpected gold.”

Trewlaney on Harry’s tea leaves – “The Falcon…..my dear you have a deadly enemy.”
“The club……..an attack”
“The skull….danger in your path.”
“And finally the Grim “Death.””

Q1.) Many of the thing which Trewlaney “sees” are future set, looking at the path of GoF, OotP and HBP, tell me how much of Trewlaney’s predictions and Ron and Harry’s were right your own personal opinion on these predictions and how important are they. Min of 300 words max of 700.

Now look carefully at the following quote taken from Goblet of Fire: chapter: The Dream and keep in mind the events which unfold in books 4, 5 and 6.

Trewlawney to Harry – “My dear you were undoubtedly stimulated by the extraordinary clairvoyant vibrations of my room! If you leave now, you ay lose the opportunity to see further than you ever have – “

Q2) examine this quote carefully and in no less than 100 tell me what it reveals.

In the Half Blood Prince Trewlaney saw the following:-
Chapter 10: The House of Gaunt (page 185 UK Ed)

“Two of Spades: conflict, Seven of Spades: an ill omen, Ten of Spades: violence, Knave of Spades: a dark young man possibly troubled, one who dislikes the questioner – “

The Seer overheard (page 507 UK Ed)
“If Dumbledore chooses to ignore the warnings the cards show – “
“ – the lightning-stuck tower. Calamity, Disaster. Coming nearer all the time…..”

In that same chapter Trewlaney inadvertently revealed that it was Snape that overheard the prophecy.

Q3) Could Trelawney’s words have saved Dumbledore from death? Or did he choose to ignore her predictions, her clear distress, in order to allow the events of that fateful night to take place?
Min of 100 to a Max of 300 words, explaining your views on these quotes.

Part Two

Last year we touched upon Prophecies now I want you to examine as close as you can, everything which has ever been said by Trewlawney, or people in her class, no matter how “unimportant” you think it is.

For example, when Trewlawney joined the trio and the select few who had remained at Hogwarts over Christmas in Prisoner of Azkaban, she refused to sit down at the table, to dine with 13 is unlucky, the first person to stand up would surely die.

Then in Order of the Phoenix, Sirius rose from a table of 13 first and we all know what happened to him.

Sooo, explore, surprise yourselves and show me anything which makes you believe something will happen in the final book which has been “forewarned” by Trewlawney

Have fun!

p.s. Just a little clue, you won’t need to study Philosopher’s Stone or Chamber of Secrets …. Although you probably knew that

EDIT: This class is now worth 70 possible points!

Last edited by Etta on Wed Jul 29 2009, 08:00; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KatieBellaTrix
5th Year
5th Year

Female
Registration date: 2006-10-24
Number of posts: 5236
Real First Name: Let's Leave it at Katie... XD
House: Gryffindor Girlie
Crest:
Warning:
0 / 30 / 3

Award Bar:
53 / 70053 / 700

PostSubject: Re: Professor Trewlawney   Fri Mar 23 2007, 17:33

Professor Traweleny's Predictions
By: KatieBellaTrix

Part One- Professor Trewelawny
Chapter: Talons and Tea Leaves (page 80 UK Ed)

“beware a red-haired man”

“around Easter, one of our number will leave us forever”

“You’re going to suffer but be very happy”

“A windfall, unexpected gold.”

“The Falcon…..my dear you have a deadly enemy.”
“The club……..an attack”
“The skull….danger in your path.”
“And finally the Grim “Death.””

1) Well, I find Trelawney’s “predictions fascinating. She has this weird way of saying things that at the time seem totally stupid and just a large helping of mish-mash, but end up turning into something that actually makes sense. I think that even though she is too proud to admit it, she really has no clue what she is saying but her instincts are always correct (in fortune telling). I believe that this must be the Seer blood in her because if I did that absolutely nothing would happen. Looking at the first quote—“Beware a red-haired man”--- as we all know, Parvati took that to mean Ron when she gave him a look and then moved away from him. And then at the Yule Ball in GoF her sister was basically ignored by Ron. I think this fallows with Trelawney’s prediction, although some people disagree. Moving on, the next quote --- “around Easter, one of our number will leave us forever”--- this one I believe is pretty straight forward, she is referring to Hermione departure and tantrum from the tower. Skipping over one to --- a windfall, unexpected gold” --- referring to the TriWizard Tournament, I presume, again pretty straightforward. ---“The Falcon…..my dear you have a deadly enemy.”--- well I think that it is safe to say Voldemort is the Falcon here. ---“The club……..an attack”--- I would say there are many attacks that would qualify here so I’m not sure which to specify. -----“The skull….danger in your path.”--- let’s face it there will always be danger in Harry’s path unless Voldy is taken down. --- “And finally the Grim “Death.”” --- well some may say this may mean Harry’s death but I think that his life is all about death and that it could just mean a death particulary significant to him, aka Voldy’s, Cedric’s, Ron on Hermione’s, Ginny’s, Dumbledore’s…

“My dear you were undoubtedly stimulated by the extraordinary clairvoyant vibrations of my room! If you leave now, you ay lose the opportunity to see further than you ever have“

2) I honestly don’t think this means anything. Harry was “taking funny turns” all over the place and having them in Trelawney’s room wasn’t very significant. Am I saying her room isn’t magical, no, I’m just saying the fact that Harry had visions there doesn’t make them anymore significant. This also means that I don’t believe that Trelawney can only See in her room, because of the fact we know she has also Seen in the Hog’s Head. Furthermore, I don’t believe that has Harry decided to stay there he would have seen more. I think that the vision was over when he woke up regardless if he was in her room or not.

Chapter 10: The House of Gaunt (page 185 UK Ed)

“Two of Spades: conflict, Seven of Spades: an ill omen, Ten of Spades: violence, Knave of Spades: a dark young man possibly troubled, one who dislikes the questioner – “

The Seer overheard (page 507 UK Ed)
“If Dumbledore chooses to ignore the warnings the cards show – “
“ – the lightning-stuck tower. Calamity, Disaster. Coming nearer all the time…..”

3) I think that the events would have taken place regardless. The really interesting thing about telling the future is, it normally, cannot be changed. For example, in the Disney television show (which I hate by the way) That’s So Raven, the girl, Raven, has visions of the future, and no matter how hard she tries to change it, her visions always end up coming true. I think the same thing happens with prophecies, and Professor Trelawney. Let’s say Dumbledore did listen to her, and decided to wait a few weeks before searching for the horcrux. Okay. Then, that would mean the cards would be wrong and or just waiting for him to go. Either way it really doesn’t make an interesting story or make sense.

Part Two

I decided to go with your example of the 13th person rising from the table. When I first read it, I admit, I was as annoyed as McGonagall with her “silly” use of superstition making a happy time suddenly awkward. Well, I think that I’ve made it pretty clear that I am strong believer in the “Harry Will Live” theory. Ron is one of my favorite characters, but I am sorry to say that I am worried about him making it through. With the “Chess Match” thing and now the table rising thing I don’t think things look very good for him. After all, as much as I hate to admit it, it would be pretty unrealistic for all of the trio making it through the Deathly Hallows.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Etta

Female
Registration date: 2006-03-03
Number of posts: 6609
Real First Name: Bee
House: HUFFLEPUFF
Crest:
Warning:
0 / 30 / 3

Award Bar:
78 / 70078 / 700

PostSubject: Re: Professor Trewlawney   Tue May 08 2007, 21:53

Homework now closed.

Housepoints:
KatieBellaTrix of Gryffindor scored 47house points.

points have been sent to Elfie

Please remember that with the new class rules you may keep doing classes after they're marked as they are now always open.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Professor Trewlawney

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1